Saturday, June 15, 2013

Adjusting to Change Stage 4

It has been nice to be home as a full-time carer with Mother. The sad part, of course, is witnessing the slow gradual deterioration that occasional takes a step down. This happened over the Summer period. I noticed Mother relying on her arms more as she walked, and she became heavier to manage getting in and out of her chair or bed as moving became more difficult for her. I was worried about the heat wave we were having, and blamed that. I was so focused on Mother's heart issues that I lost sight of her Lewy Body Disease.

As time progressed, one morning, Mother lost the ability to stand! She went to Hospital for investigations, and the outcome was Lewy Body Disease, with messages for 'standing' blocked. There were more changes in her brain scan also, producing some Stroke symptoms. Loss of mobility had come on gradually, but wasn't obvious until standing ability just stopped one day.  Bowels and bladder were also affected, so caring for Mother was now like for a 'Spinal' person. I feared managing Mother at home now she was so heavy, as I didn't want to wreak my back. I even went as far as putting a room on hold in a Residential Home for Mother! 

During the time Mother was in Hospital, the OT and Physio persons were great. They introduced Mother and me to a 'Standing Hoist' which supported Mother's back and knees as she was gently raised on to her feet for transferring from bed to chair etc. I became involved in managing Mother's cares and confidence in managing her grew as I realized I had to change my thinking and be more realistic with Mother's new routine.

Eventually I realized Mother would still be better looked after at home, and discussion with her Consultant confirmed my thinking. The Hospital OT arranged for a hoist to be delivered Home, after inspecting Mother's room for the space required for it's use. Mother required Ambulance transfer home and a new phase in caring for her began.

Mother now requires two persons for her Hoist transfers (this is a mandatory safety requirement). NASC hours for a support carer to assist me with Mother's care haven't changed. Mother has all her cares on her bed now before we get her up with the hoist into her chair for the day. She feels safe at home and I'm glad to have over-come the mental hurdle to cope. Family support remains distant and unchanged.




No comments: